The ninth Where’s Waldo 100km trail run is this Saturday, August 21, 2010. This is the first race of the 2010-2011 Montrail Ultra Cup. Our PR guy, Lewis Taylor, a.k.a lowercase, “winner” of the race in 2006, who now works for Vox Public Relations (formerly Ulum Group), suggested that I do a Waldo trivia contest the week of the race. What? We have a PR guy? Sure, doesn’t everybody?
So, here are ten questions about the race. First person to answer a question correctly via a comment gets a point. You can put your answers in multiple comments but only your first answer for a question counts. Person with the most points wins. What do you win? I’ll give you some kind of Waldo schwag. Maybe a Waldo denim, Sporthill, or polo shirt, but definitely not a finisher hat. We can negotiate after you win.
1. Where did the idea for the name of the race come from?
2. How long was the original course and what years did we use that “long” course?
3. Who is the most accomplished ultrarunner to run and finish Waldo? (hint: it’s not AJW)
4. The first year of the race, 2002, we unknowingly scheduled it on the same day as something important (that we should have known about). What was this other important thing?
5. Who made the crazy perpetual trophy for the Show Us Your Waldo award?
6. What three national forest districts does the course traverse and which district is the primary permit issuer?
7. How many years has a woman won Waldo outright and who is she or they?
8. What special treat do you get at the Twins Aid Station and how in the heck do they keep them cold?
9. Who made the plaque and water fountain at the start/finish area?
10. Which six lakes can you swim in for the Wet Waldo award and which one has mermaids in it?