Michigan Bluff Training Camp version 2009 ended with some lovely California weather. It probably rained about 3-4 inches on Friday and Saturday in the Bluff. We almost had to cancel the Ice Cream Sandwich run because of the mud (I hear they do that in California). But it was a train wreck of a run, with only two of seven completing the whole run including the requisite 1:15 from Foresthill to Cal 2 without puking. lc, who did a great job conducting the juices in my absence – thanks, lc – called Friday night saying his plane was delayed so he was not coming. I was nursing a sore leg so I decided to hike for 25 miles and then run the last 9. Tapeworm split it up into two runs, taking a 6 hour break that included a hot tub, 3 meals, a movie, and a horse race. Then we had to deal with hypothermia which got just a little scary as there are no shower curtains on Cal St. Eating ice cream sandwiches and drinking cold sodas in 46 degree rain after 42 miles is a great way to lower core temperature. Suffice to say, we eventually all got back to MB safely and before dark.
So what did lc do instead of run the ICS in the cold rain? He ran the Eugene Marathon on Sunday in a PR 2:45. Not bad for a hairy-legged, baby-stroller-pushing, tom-selleck-obsessed ultrarunner who signed up for the race the night before.
To wrap up camp we brainstormed and came up with these most memorable quotes from this year.
- Put your suspenders on and flare it up! [Monkeyboy]
- Did you eat your coniferous vegetables today, Dan? [Tapeworm’s Love Interest]
- I can’t burp due to a birth defect. [SLF]
- Don’t look. [French Kiss]
- Andy, do you have one of these? [GM]
- I’m not running or sleeping so I might as well be eating. [Tapeworm]
- I’ll have the driver bring it up. [Monkeyboy]
- Did you run off a batch? [The Jiz]
- It’s balony weather. [The Jiz]
- Its your turn to talk to Lewis tonight. [Everybody]
Did I miss any?