Here are ten excuses AJW can use when he doesn’t break 5 minutes for the mile on November 23.
- “I’m a 100 mile runner.”
- “I live at altitude and can’t get the leg turnover in training.”
- “You took us through the half in 2:30 and drained the kick out of me.”
- “I only had two beers the night before.”
- “I wanted to help your self-esteem, LB.”
- “Wow, I didn’t know 5 minute pace was that fast. It looks easy when you run it, LB.”
- “I just assumed it was a beer mile.”
- “There’s three feet of snow in my front yard.”
- “It was raining. If it were in Idaho we would have canceled the race.”
- “I suck on the track, OK. Is that what you want to hear, LB?”
Got any others for him?
11. I am still tired from talking you back onto the trail at WS
@AJW, and for that I am forever indebted to you. Well, the thought of being permanently removed from your Christmas card list for DNFing also helped get me off the cot. I guess I need to thank you for that too. You are quite the giver.
12. Getting my sponsors lined up took too much time and energy away from my interval training.
13. Looking at my watch to see if I was hitting my 10 meter split times turned out to be more distracting than beneficial.
14. I went a bit off pace on the third lap as I was trying to calculate my lead in the 10-year bet.
15.I’m not used to training for a race when school is in session. Working & training is exhausting.
16.I couldn’t find track shoes that would match my beige Patagonia clothing.
17. I didn’t feel like giving it 100% because I didn’t get an appearance fee.
18. “Not enough time for the protein food to kick in.”
Thinking too hard whether he should get M9 carved into his haircut like the younger kids do.