Here’s a quick recap from last weekend’s Waldo 100K.
- Finisher Stats: 123 starters and 95 finishers = 77%
- Weather: Hot and dry. Snow was minimal with maybe one mile to run through.
- Mosquitoes: Population healthiest in ten years of the race.
- Winners: Dave Mackey from California broke Erik Skaggs’ course record by 4 minutes finishing in 9:06:51. Aliza Lapierre from Vermont ran second fastest women’s time of 10:33:24
- WS Spots: With Mackey and Ian Sharman already in WS because they finished top ten, Portland’s Nick Triolo grabbed the only male spot in The Dance. On the women’s side, Aliza finished 6th this year at States so both Denise Bourassa and Darla Askew earn tickets to The Dance.
- Find Waldo: Mackey was first to summit Fuji in a new record 1:59
- Wet Waldo: Mikio Miyazoe swam in all six eligible lakes and finished in 12:51:28.
- Show Us Your Waldo: Leif Rustvold – “Joseph Campbell styled hero quest involving a cursed hat and Waldo themed lyrics put to recognizable songs.”
- DFL: Peter Fish, 75, finished at 11:25pm after 20:25 to finish his second Waldo, but first since he’s been in his 70’s. Perhaps the most impressive finish of the day.
- Webcast: Ultralive.net. Our ham radio operators made use of three different repeaters and transmitted all splits to the finish via voice, and then those times were entered into the database by Ian and Sara for close to real-time viewing.
- Retirements. 10-year Co-RD and Co-Founder Curt Ringstad will become aid station captain of Charlton Lake with his wife Barb who is retiring as 10-year aid station captain of Maiden Lake. 10-year aid station captain Cyndy Meno from Mt Ray. 9-year aid station captains Bob Alexander and Melissa Berman from the crazy Twins. 5-year aid station captain Scott Leonard from Charlton Lake.
- New Assistant RD: Meghan “The Queen” Arbogast made her debut as third in command with her Moeben white skirt and personalized belt with a WS belt buckle.
- Photography: For the first time we had a professional photographer take photos of the race. Michael Lebowitz of the LongRun Picture Company had three photographers out in some pretty cool remote spots. Check out the gallery here. Runners can download digitial images for free to use on their blogs, etc. Please make sure to give photo credit to LongRun Picture Co. You can also purchase prints which would help Michael cover his costs.
Next Waldo is scheduled for August 18, 2012. Registration will open at UltraSignup.com on March 1.