We got a lot of responses to the 1980s WS video trivia contest. Here are the results and the answers.
Monkeyboy and Seagul Junker tie for first.
lc and Gary Wang tie for third.
1. “As the sage Demosthenes Brito once said: Everyday is not the same and that’s alright by me.”
Steve Warshawer 1988. He wasn’t having his best day. He’s sponging off at what appears to be Cal2 but the movie makes it seem like the river crossing.
2. “They say there are three types of runners at Western States: the survivors, the runners, and the racers. Of that group I’d say that I’m one of the racers.“
Jim King 1983. Pre-race interview shown at the start of the video. Mullet looking sharp.
3. “You betcha I am. I want one of them cougars.“
Mark Brotherton 1989. At Cal 2 after moving into second and being asked if he was going after Sean Crom, the leader.
4. “No, I run for me. I run me. I run me hard.“
Terri Gerber 1985. Pre-race interview with spooky eyes. No wonder people think we aren’t normal.
5. “I like to lead the race from the beginning if possible. But, I think it’s much more important to lead the race at the finish. So, that’s my key goal.”
Jim King 1986. Pre-race interview. Probably still remembers getting outsprinted in the last half-mile in 1983 by Jim Howard.
6. “I’ve been urinating right down my legs and I think that keeps my feet saturated … maybe I shouldn’t do that anymore.”
Tim Ball 1989. At Cal 2 after leading and running ahead of course record splits all the way through Foresthill.
7. “Well, I’ll tell you. I’ve gone up and down to heaven and hell ten times along the way, and right now I’m coming back up.“
The late Jim Pellon 1985. On the streets of Auburn. He ended up second place again.
8. “Can anyone believe they can run 100 miles? I don’t know … I do it tree to tree.“
Ann Trason 1989. At the finish. The first of her collection of 14 victories.
9. “These little piggies don’t go to the market.” [Don’t you have money for another pair of shoes?] “No, you know how us dentists are, we barely know where our next 100,000’s coming from.“
Ross Waltzer 1985. Dropping out at Michigan Bluff. He’s sitting in the chair with shoes that have the toes cut out.
10. [You’ve been smiling since I saw you.] “Well, I like runnin’.“
Chuck Jones 1986. Running up Bath Rd.
Extra Credit “Stay cool, you know that. Stay cool. Don’t blow the wad.“
A reliable source tells me this is Robin Rossow in 1983. She’s talking to Rae Clark as he’s running out of the Devil’s Thumb Aid Station. Absolute classic.